Saturday, March 30, 2013

Surprise! and More Dresses Than Most Dads Can Handle

Nahum and I got a fun surprise at the end of February.  Instead of an IUD preventing pregnancy there's now a baby.  Our 3rd, and final (greater steps will be taken), offspring is due in the early fall, probably October.  

Shayna is stoked about her baby "sister" but not so happy when I remind her that it could just as likely be a boy.  At which point she says, "If it comes out a boy, I'll cry."  She's decided that talking through my belly button is the best way to communicate and desperately wants to be able to feel the baby.  I had her poke my belly to feel the fat then the muscle underneath and explained the baby  was under all than and really tiny (about 2").  It's gonna be a long wait for her.  Luckily we've got a beautiful spring/summer on the way with a long trip to Israel to distract her.  After the initial shock and following acceptance of our new challenge, it's been the easiest pregnancy, both physically and mentally.  Yes, it's been a normal tiring 1st trimester but mentally it's been an easy acceptance of the physical takeover that I hated when pregnant with both Shayna and Elijah.  That could just be due to the sheer terror of dealing with a toddler, preschooler and a new born but I'm taking advantage and enjoying all the sensations that typically come with my pregnancies.

Elijah's latest obsession is dresses, or as he says it, "dretchy".  "Right back!" he shouts as he runs to their room, "Dretchy." 5 seconds later he hands me, or Nahum, his selection on it's hanger.  As he started wanting to change dresses throughout the day, I finally started documenting his attire of choice.  The kids have been on spring break but just before that, Elijah started wanting to wear a dress to school.  Nahum would have him show the dress to his teacher Ms. Nancy then would take the dress off Elijah and back to the car after dropping the kids off at school.  Elijah's insistence in keeping his dress on while out has grown so I wonder how successful that tactic will be on Monday when school starts again.  Shayna is always told, "what a pretty dress," whenever she wears one.  Elijah just wants the same attention and thank goodness the whole family is quite supportive of his choices.  I just try to keep them shorter if we're going to the gym or park so he can still climb easily.




Nahum recently spent a week traveling for work in southern CA and Las Vegas.  The kids and I did better than usual even though all our normal sitters were on spring break as well.  I had a 13yo come over a couple times and one visit from a new college sitter and that seemed to be all the break I needed to stay sane.  While Nahum flew home on Saturday afternoon, I even took the kids hiking at the Cascades trail.  They did awesome!  Shayna probably could have done the full 2 miles to the water fall, but Elijah still has some stamina to build.  We made it about 20 yds from the sawmill boiler (about 1/2mi from the trail head) before Elijah decided he was done hiking and either wanted to play with sticks and rocks or be carried.  We snacked by the old boiler then risked the rain by hiking quickly (Elijah on my shoulders) back to the car.  While there was thunder quite close, it never poured on us and left both kids with a happy taste of hiking in the mountains.  As soon as it warms up (still winter-esk here), I'm going to take the whole family, and a child carrier for when the boy, all the way to The Cascades.
Notice the orange blur of the trail.  That's speedy Shayna.


No comments:

Post a Comment